Why actually pay other companies for something that you can easily do yourself. Save money and just follow these instructions.

To claim your tax back, you will need following documents:

- your Group Certificate or final payslip from every employer – this document shows how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid

- your Tax File Number (TFN), Passport Number, Bank Account Details

- a Phone

STEP 1 – Create a GOV Account

Go to and click on “create a myGov account”

You will need to enter your email address and a mobile phone number. If this is done, you can login. To do so, you will get a confirmation number sent on your mobile phone.


STEP 2 Link your myGov account to ATO


taxGo to ‘Services’ and click to to the right of ‘Australian Taxation Office’. You will receive the error message that the system isn’t able to link your account to the ATO. Don’t worry, it happens to everyone.


Call the nice ATO-callcenter under the number 132 861 and select Option 5. To verify your identity, they will ask you for your Passport number, your TFN and some more details. So it’s to helpful to remember on what day you were born.

You will receive a linking code and with this code you will be able to link your account.



Please login to your ATO-account and chose the button “Lodge my Tax”. Finally, you can start to fill your details in. It will ask you some general questions taxofficeabout your address and bank details. Then you will be asked if you are resident for tax purposes. If you stayed longer than 6 months in Australia, you can chose yes. After that, you fill in the details from the group certificates and that’s it.

The whole procedure takes about 30min till 1 hour. So why should you pay someone hundreds of dollars.


Leave a Reply